Sunday, March 20, 2011

We're In This Together

We are not alone.  You are not alone.  

The idea that life is not a solo journey, and that there are those around you willing to help isn't a novel one. The phrase is often dropped, perhaps too carelessly, as an example of a way to comfort someone who is hurting.  The idea is pushed into our faces, and reiterated so many thousands of times the words can almost lose their meaning.  It'll be okay, don't worry. You're not alone, I'm here for you.  It is hard to tell sometimes whether the words are truly meant to comfort, or are instead a subtle brush off; an attempt to de-escalate an uncomfortable situation.  

Despite all of that, however, I wish I could say those two sentences over and over again.  I wish everyone, in every corner of the world could hear them.  The phrase, when said directly, is and should be powerful.  It represents the human connection we all share whether we want this connection or not.  It represents that even in our loneliest, darkest hours there is someone out there.

Tonight I was reminded of how important it is to remember that we are all in this together.  We are all trying to bring meaning into lives that can be both brilliant and frightening.  We are all trying to reconcile  the world's good, with the world's bad, and the good and bad within ourselves. 

Tonight I talked to someone who, though friendly with, I do not talk to often.  In this particular friend, however, I came to realize I had strong ally.  Her thoughts were more similar to mine than I had ever known, and we shared certain facets of personality in common that had been previously undiscovered.  This served as a simple strong reminder that there are people out there who are on our team, even if it isn't consistently discussed.  Even if we don't know it, there are enough of these people that, no matter how lonely we feel, we are never alone.  We're in this together.

Smile and Breathe xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment